With its goal to become a leading research university in the country and region, Vietnamese-German University always tries to provide the best condition and environment for the researcher and student to execute their projects. Follow on this mission, The President of VGU issued a regulation on the student research activities, which took effect from 22nd May 2020.
1. Objectives of the student research activities
A tier 1 research university needs to encourage its students to take part in professional research activities more, due to the following objectives:
1. To improve the training quality of human resources contributing to discover and foster young talents for the country, especially in the fields of engineering, economics, and other areas following the development of the substantial study programs at the university.
2. To meet student research requirements and aspirations, to promote dynamism, creativity, independent research capacity of students, and build up self-learning competence of students, gain the learning goal of the course.
3. To improve logical and critical thinking ability as well as scientific report reading, writing, and presentation skills.
4. To make efficient use of the potential well-equipped and advanced laboratories, apply scientific and technical achievements to solve practical problems in life-related to the field of training.
5. To help students acquire scientific knowledge and foundations, further develop learning, teaching, and research activities.
6. To contribute to the creation of new scientific-technological products for society.
2. How to deploy the student research plan at a research university
2.1 Development of student research plan
The Research Management Department (RMD) announces student research programs to the Faculties as well as calls VGU students for application and submission of research project proposals up to 4 times per year. Besides, students are encouraged to submit research proposals anytime during the year.
Based on the number of student research projects in the previous years, RMD shall work with the Finance and Accounting Department (FAD) for the cost estimation and allocation for student research activities and submit to the PB for approval. This will be considered in line with PB’s plan to improve VGU research university rankings.
The student research plan must conform to the Faculties and university’s research orientation, including:
a. Determine the research focus, finalize the list of proposals, assign projects, implement projects, and evaluate the research result according to this regulation and regulations of Vietnam.
b. Organize an annual student research conference and other forms of student research activities.
c. Organize and participate in the research events and contests for students.
d. Organize and support students to have research results published, apply scientific and technological advances into practice.
2.2 Determine and conduct the proposed projects
Students propose student research topics and discuss them with an appropriate supervisor.
For those who wish to conduct scientific research but have not found an appropriate supervisor can make a request to the Faculty asking for proper supervisors.
Once the supervisor agrees and finalizes the proposal, students will submit their research proposals form to the RMD (form provided).
RMD is responsible for selecting a list of research proposals, coordinating with the Faculties to propose the establishment of Evaluation Committees for evaluating the proposals, based on that the PB decides to give the student’s research assignments.
The student research project evaluation committee consists of 5 members: 1 Chairman/Chairwoman, 4 members. The Chairperson is either the Dean or Vice-Dean or a lecturer who has solid background and experiences on the registered research topics; the other 3 members are either VGU lecturers or from outside, whereas the last member is an administrative clerk.
2.3 Inspection of the student research project
a. All of the student research projects have to be completed and inspected by the expiry date of the contract. If the project is not completed in due time because of objective reasons, the PI should contact the supervisor and RMD for a project extension.
The extension is only accepted one (01) time and no more than 3 months. After completing the research content and being approved by the supervisor, the PI submits documents to RMD for project inspection; required documents consist of:
– Final report.
– Project outcomes and proofs.
b. RMD shall coordinate with the faculties to propose to the PB to issue a decision on setting up an evaluation committee for student research project inspection.
The evaluation committee includes 05 members: Chairman/Chairwoman, 02 Appraisers, 01 Committee-man/Committee-woman, and 01 Clerk (form provided by RMD).
c. Based on the final report and research outcomes, the evaluation committee decides on assessing and grading the project.
d. Evaluation members assess independently by giving grades to each content in the evaluation form. The final assessment is the average grade of all members. The project is graded at 05 levels as follows:
– Excellent: ≥ 90;
– Very good: from 80 to under 90;
– Good: from 70 to under 80;
– Average: from 60 to under 70;
– Failed: under 60.
e. The result of the assessment is stated explicitly in the evaluation meeting minutes.
f. Based on the evaluation result, the committee proposes the project to participate in the scientific research award of VGU students and/or other international/ national scientific research awards for students. Or decide on handling unsatisfactory research projects.
3. Other details on executing the student research plan
The excellent and valuable research will be considered for VGU’s annual student research award. Every year, RMD selects the list of notable student research topics to the PB for awarding.
VGU organizes the annual student research conference with the following contents:
1. Summarizing and evaluating student research activities;
2. Presenting the results of outstanding research projects;
3. The annual student research conference is held in the first semester every year.
RMD and the Industrial Relations and Technology Transfer Center (IR&TTC) encourage and offer supportive conditions for students to apply scientific and technological advances into practice from the results of their research.
VGU manages the collection, processing, archives, and dissemination of scientific and technological information of student activities which includes:
1. Manage and archive the results/products of student research projects in the library information system of the university.
2. Announce and publish the student research topics results as stipulated in the current regulations and on VGU’s home page and other public media.
With this new regulation, VGU hopes to encourage more students to participate in professional research activities, bring in innovative ideas, and create a solid base for a research university.